Gluten-Free No-Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies with Quinoa Flakes






Have I got a Faux for you.

My last cookie post stirred up a veritable stew of feelings. From oat-loving high fives and boogie till the cows come home oatmeal cookie bliss, to very sad, That's okay, I'll sit this one out in the corner moping. Because oatmeal? It's not for everyone. Apparently, oats can sometimes be unkind to certain sensitive celiac tummies. They are high in fiber. Which messes with some folks. And others believe the trouble starts with its globulin or legume-like protein called avenalin. Some think it's the "soluble" fiber factor. Other gluten-free diet centrics believe that the prolemine in oats called avenin triggers a celiac-like response. Or that oats are too often contaminated during the harvesting process. The debate rages on. And I'm no scientist, I'm sorry to tell you, so I'll sit this one out. 

But that does not mean, Darling, that I am not motivated to figure out an alternative to oats in such a classic favorite.

Of course I had to play around with my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe

I couldn't leave my oat-shunning peeps out in the cold without a chewy golden cookie of their own. I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. I stirred up some quinoa flakes, quinoa flour, sorghum flour, organic brown sugar, oil, and chocolate chips and guess what?

I think you know what.

In fact (shhh- don't tell those lucky oatmeal cookie folks), this cookie is even better than its oatmeal cousin. It is, I swear, my new favorite cookie. I am Patsy Cline Crazy about it.

Quinoa flakes rock.

Bake On, my peeps.

Karina xo





Karina's No-Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies with Quinoa Flakes

Recipe posted April 2010 by Karina Allrich.

These are now my favorite gluten-free cookies. I mean it. These are the best. Delicious, golden caramel flavor with a chewy quinoa center accented with dark chocolate chips. Gluten-free cookie heaven.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes
1/2 cup organic quinoa flour or millet flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour or potato starch (not potato flour)
1 1/2 cups organic light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup light olive oil or organic coconut oil
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract
2 large organic free-range eggs or Ener-G Egg Replacer
Warm water, as needed
1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips

Instructions:

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours and dry ingredients.

Add in the oil, maple syrup, vanilla and eggs/egg replacer. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a sturdy wooden spoon until you get a thick, sticky batter.

If you need to, add 1 tablespoon of warm water at a time, as needed, to achieve a (cookie style) dough that sticks together when you pinch it.

Stir in the dark chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. Cover and chill the dough for 30 to 60 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with an Exopat or parchment.

Roll spoonfuls of the dough between your palms and form the dough into 24 balls (slightly smaller than a golf ball). Place the dough balls on the prepared baking sheet and press down a bit to flatten slightly- not too much. Place the pan into the center of a pre-heated oven and bake until golden and set - about 22 to 25 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the center is almost firm. The cookies will still have a little give to them while hot; as they cool they will crisp up.

Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes; then carefully remove the cookies with a thin spatula and place them on a wire rack to continue cooling.

Lovely warm and melty. Store in a covered container for up to a day or wrap cooled cookies in recycled foil, bag and freeze for longer storage.

Makes 24-30 cookies.


PRINT RECIPE



Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddessrecipes.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 


Total Pageviews